Lucky Number 13

To preface I should start by telling you about my history with the number 13. I'm not a superstitious person by any means but just one too many coincidences can make you start to wonder. Friday the 13th is synonymous with bad luck, and that date on the calendar usually meant just that for me. Every Friday the 13th in elementary school and high school resulted in me getting hurt, sick, or just having a bad day. There was the time a boy tripped me and I hit my head on the cinder block wall in the hallway, the time I sprained my ankle on Beach Day when some chick left her clodhopper high heel under her beach towel, when I slipped on water in the gym and bruised my tailbone before cheer tryouts, and maybe worst of all when I threw up on Arbor Day while we were planting a tree outside. For the record, I hate to throw up. Like cry every time, think I'm dying, want my mommy....hate. Good thing I didn't get morning sickness. Surprise surprise though after that Arbor Day experience in 1st grade, the next time I threw up I was in 7th grade and 13 years old.  Needless to say at this point 13 definitely held a negative connotation in my mind.
Fast forward several years and experiences and suddenly 13 became my favorite, if not, lucky number. Brent proposed to me on FRIDAY June 13, 2008. Perhaps that changed the luck. A year later we got married on June 13. And now, as we end the year of 2013, I can easily say that this has been one of the best years of my life. Professionally, I had worked my butt off for years to no avail and finally this year was offered a position as a full time 1st grade teacher at a school close to home. When I was given the keys to my classroom and went to work in there over the summer, I stopped dead in my tracks when I looked up at the door plate. Even though I had subbed in the room many times before, I never noticed this little detail. Room #....you guessed it...13. 
Personally, we had a rough year in 2012. After trying for almost a year I had two miscarriages back to back. I will save that lengthy story for another post though. After a long road, I found out I was pregnant the day after Christmas 2012. So I brought in the year 2013 excited but nervous, unimaginably nervous....and rightfully so. My due date was September 4 but I had Ellie August 30, 2013. You would know her birthday would include a 13! This year was filled with so many wonderful things. Looking ahead to 2014, I'm skeptical to think it can compare. Good bye 2013! It's been fabulous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment